We currently provide compassionate, individualized lactation consultations in your choice of care setting, in the comfort and privacy of your own home or in our central clinic space. We also run a popular breastfeeding support group on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month, please click here for more information!
What happens prior to our appointment?
After a brief phone consultation we will schedule a time and date for either an in-home consultation or a private consultation in our clinic. You can also easily book a clinic appointment yourself by clicking here.
We will then email you a two page new client “Postpartum Intake Form” for you to complete prior to our appointment.
- If you do not have access to a printer then let us know and we can bring an extra copy to your home.
- If possible try not to feed your baby immediately prior to our appointment because I will want to observe a complete feeding during our consultation.
- If your baby is hungry please go ahead and feed them, this will not affect our visit together. Baby does not need to miss a feed.
What happens during an initial consultation?
- Initial consultations are usually between 1.5-2 hours in length.
- A consent form is explained and signed prior to the consultation.
- We perform a thorough health history and exam for both mom (including pre-pregnancy, pregnancy, labour, birth and post-partum) and baby (including head structure, oral structure, hard palate, sucking skills, tongue and lip tie, etc as indicated for present challenges).
- A full feeding is observed and if the IBCLC, RLC deems it appropriate weights done on a specialized scale before and after the feeding to determine how much breast milk is transferred. We watch first! It’s helpful to learn each coupling’s personal style before trying to fix/change anything.
- Concerns and questions are fully addressed.
- A mutually agreed upon plan of care is created and before we leave you a A written Lactation Action Care Plan is left with you which lets you have a concrete plan for overcoming your specific challenges. Dependant on the significance of the challenge plans can range in length of 24hr-4days before your follow up.
- An invoice/receipt is provided.
What happens AFTER MY initial consultation?
- You should contact us within 48 hours to follow-up with your progress and answer any other questions you may have.
- We believe that follow-up and ongoing support is crucial to meeting your breastfeeding goals, therefore you may contact us anytime via email, phone or text with any concerns or questions following our initial consultation.
- In order to provide more comprehensive care we forward documentation [your prior consent/denial is required] of our visit to your primary health care provider or health care provider of your choice. This builds collaboration with other members of the health care team to provide breastfeeding care that supports our mothers.
- If you still have significant concerns or are having further difficulties and would like a follow-up consultation we can schedule another home or clinic visit. These follow-up consultations are usually 1 hour in length at our hourly rate.
- We also offer a variety of packages including our popular prenatal package or back to work package. We also offer services related to onsite support after a frenotomy. Please contact us for further details on packages and pricing.